Rail passengers at Meldreth, Shepreth and Foxton can now use Great Northern’s new smartcard ticketing technology ‘the key’ for season ticket journeys to and from London and stations in between. We have now been able to spread its availability this further north, beyond Royston, which was the previous limit of the scheme, to Foxton station. Next year, we hope to extend it even further – to Cambridge, Ely and King’s Lynn.
There are great benefits to using ‘the key’ – once passengers have it, they can buy tickets online and then load them up simply by touching one of our new ticket gate card readers, or they can buy tickets to upload to the smartcard at one of our ticket machines. If anyone loses a card, it can be instantly cancelled and a replacement issued with the same ticket pre-loaded.
The smartcard is supported by a recently-updated online ticketing system and updated app which is designed to make the whole ticket buying process easier.
• ‘The key’ can be requested free online and posted to homes; passengers can then buy tickets using their card easily so there will be no need to queue at a ticket office to buy or collect
• Purchases and renewals of season, monthly or weekly tickets can be made online and collected simply by touching a smartcard reader at the passenger’s specified station
• The new mobile app will put customers’ ticket wallets at their fingertips, giving them a new way to buy season tickets
• Passengers will also be able to buy tickets for ‘the key’ at station ticket machines outside the London Travelcard area
• Passengers will be able to check the status of their tickets on the key and journey history either online, through our iOS or Android app, or by touching them onto ticket machines at stations
• If a registered card is reported lost, it becomes “hot listed”, so cannot be used for travel. A customer is then issued with a new card with their existing products already on the card
More information here.