Meldreth, Shepreth and Foxton Rail User Group
Launched in February 2010, this group is comprised of rail users dedicated to improving access to rail service at these small but essential stations. Our Rail Operator is Govia Thameslink Railway who operate the service as Great Northern, formerly First Capital Connect, and our service links the villages to Cambridge, Royston and London King’s Cross.
We are pleased to have the support of Railfuture, Govia Thameslink Railway (Great Northern), Network Rail and Transport Focus, all of whom have taken an active interest in our campaign.
Campaign Successes So Far
- First Capital Connect has improved, and Govia Thameslink has maintained, the 16-18 year-old student discount fare from 30% to 50% off the adult fare. This translates into a substantial saving for young people.
- Cycle racks at Foxton Station have been provided and installed by Cambridgeshire County Council on council-owned land.
- Increased cycle parking at Shepreth has been installed by Govia Thameslink.
- Following customer feedback, new ticket machine screens have been installed at Meldreth, Shepreth and Foxton Stations.
- British Transport Police actively support our presence at the station and regularly attend User Group Meetings.
- Parking charges at Meldreth Station have been reduced from £3 per day to £1.50 per day, and charges at Shepreth Station abolished (previously £3 per day) – effective January 1st, 2012.
- At Foxton Level Crossing, improved flashing light system on the vehicle barriers, significant steps toward safer pedestrian gates.
Join us to Help with our Continuing Campaigns
- Full disabled access at Meldreth Station.
- Maintaining the 50% 16-18 year-old student season pass discount.
- Maintaining Meldreth’s staffed booking office.
- Free parking at Meldreth Station.
- Better provision for cycles on trains, particularly in view of overcrowding.
- More cycle parking particularly at Meldreth and Foxton where there is high demand.
- Improved safety at Foxton Level Crossing.
Please contact us to join our mailing list.
- Rail User Group Constitution
- Meetings and minutes
- Future Meetings
- Publications and Correspondence
- In the press
- Local Businesses and Discounts